Wednesday, June 11, 2008

For The Beat Heads... Room Acoustics (Better Your Mixes)

Fresh out the oven is something from Mau. I have not had a chance to read it yet as I just checked my e-mail real quick before dinner. Considering his track record though it should be a good read.

"A bit technical but a good read - the things to really read (read them and understand them) is the mirror test, bass traps, and speaker positioning. Handle this stuff, you will not need to buy new speakers. I know people than mix on 4 inch KRKs, and 4 inch M-Audio 100.00 speakers - that can get a better mix than people with better equipment. They have all gone to school btw, but it is because of their understanding of room acoustics that they a) save money, b) get a more balanced stereo mix.

The mastering engineer I have been working with told me to read this. The part about sound fooling your brain is trippy, but explains why a lot of people automatically reach for a stereo imager like S1 which in a poorly treated room will translate to a bad mix widening the mix more than it really should.

Love Learning... "

No comments: