Saturday, October 4, 2008

For The Beat Heads ...Mastering - Yes you need it...

I was fortunate to sit in on a few mastering sessions recently, let me say this:

GET YOUR PRODUCT MASTERED!!!!!

I don't know about you all, but when I release my product it will be presented as best as it can - which means it will translate well to the overcompressed radio, the compressed mp3, mp4 and ipods, ringtones, tv, broadcast stream, DVD, and "smiley face" eq's built into the "loudness" button on the majority of car stereos and home stereos.

A mix is not the same as a master, they are two different things. I can run anyone's 2 track through a massive passive, a 2LA2 and an avalon, and make it louder, but louder does not = punch, or sparkle, or separation. Remember, "Louder sounds better", but will sound like sh*t when played at regular listening levels.

I sat for 4 hours and watched a mastering engineer turn a "perfect mix" into a "damn I guess it wasn't so perfect mix".

One of the first things was this, listening to the product in the mastering room instantly made the problems audible. THE MASTERING ROOM IS KEY.

The people I'm working with, master through Bob Katz DigitalDomain (2000+ per album, but worth it)

But I've heard great things about this guy as well
http://www.massivemastering.com/

His rates are about what they should be.... 125 per song - 855.00 for a whole album, or ITB for 120 per song, 550 per album
http://www.massivemastering.com/html/rate_sheet.html

Do your music justice, I have had too many people say - this is my album, and when I hear it it sounds muddy, or over compressed, or worse - distorting. Then they wonder why no one buys it. If your product is quality, then treat it as such....

No comments: