Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Fresh Flicks.... Step Your Game Up!



So quite a few of you guys ask me about movies or I find myself explaining A LOT of jokes that make references to movies. I have come to the conclusion that most peoples taste in films is very restricted or just sucks... (I'm pretty sure 90% of the time it's the latter). So I'm going to start feeding you films/DVD's that need to go (as in own) in your film/DVD collections (or see at least see twice, in there entirety and have a complete comprehension). I think we will start out with ten a week and I may come through with a theme or two. In no particular order, here we go...



  • The Godfather Trilogy - I know this is a pretty courageous series to jump out the gate with but if you can get through the films and understand whats going on, you will be impressed by how well this story is written. I'm going to give you a little hint. The first film is actually the middle of the story, the second is the first part, and the third is the last. Now don't get smart and try to watch them out of order because you will be confused, plus you'll miss out on all the "Oh Shit!" moments. You need to see the characters names and personalities as adults in part 1 in order to understand their significance in part 2.

  • The Big Lebowski - Jeff Bridges, John Goodman, Steve Buscemi and Philip Seymour Hoffman MAKE these characters. I could not imagine any other actors playing these parts after seeing this film. If you don't want to take my word for how dope this film is, visit this site " http://lebowskifest.com/ " and ask them. The cult following of this film is amazing.

  • The Wiz - Yes "The Wiz"! I said it! "The Wiz"! You got a problem with that???? Look, this reinterpretation of "The Wizard Of Oz" is phenomenal. Outside of the characters story, the incorporation of 70's Black America/afrocentricity is genius in this film. The star power is there (Diana Ross as Dorothy, Michael Jackson as the Scarecrow, Richard Pryor as the Wiz, Lena Horne as Glenda The Good Witch, Nipsey Russel as Tinman.). The set design is ridiculous and with Quincy Jones handling the music, how could you not enjoy this film?

  • Monty Python & The Search For The Holy Grail - I saw this film for the first time in my drama (or classic literature) class back in high school and over 10 years later it still has not gotten old. you might want to brush up on your medieval history first to get all of the jokes but if you don;t just enjoy the silliness of the film.

  • Love Jones - Man I love this film. And I'm not ashamed to admit that this is my number one favorite movie. All these successful "renaissance" black people in one movie. All of them intelligent, employed and no gangsters, pimps or crackheads in sight? Outside of all that positivity, the story is really, really good and ultimately gave my first eternal crush... Nia Long. Even With Lisa Nicole Carson's giant mammers, Nia Long is sexy as hell. Plus her character (Nina) knew who John Coltrane was AND identified his music in like .8 seconds. Damn...

  • The Princess Bride - It would be "Inconceivable" to not have this film in your collection. Even if kid films is not your thing, this film has so much more to offer. Action, adventure, romance and above all other things humor. If you have not seen it enough times to make references to it in your everyday lifestyle, your slipping.

  • Booty Call - Okay, okay. I'm guilty and aware that I am a music/film snob and the first one to voice my opinions and point my finger in angst when it comes to the portrayal of black people in films. Especially in so called "black films" aka "hood movies". But... this shit was funny. It was funny because it wasn't about black people but rather single people and dating. It's just that it was done with black actors, and the material is universal. So now that I have explained myself. Jaime Foxx steals this film and Tommy Davidson does his thing. Tamala Jones and pre surgery Vivica Fox (why did she do that to her face? She was Beyonce before their was a Beyonce) ain't too bad either.

  • The Fifth Element - This film is perfect. Not only does Bruce Willis, Chris Rock and Mila do their thing, but visually the movie is stunning.

So go get a Netflix subscription and get your weight up!

No comments: